No more Boston, no more Nashville, no more Oakland
Oh baby come on out to the sea
Come on take a walk down sunset with me
Oh we gonna get drunk, find us some skinny girls, and go street walking Street walking baby in Los Angeles!
And man its a really good place to find yourself a taco
Counting Crows: Los Angeles
I just spent a few days in LA, Long Beach and Seal Beach and UNFORTUNATELY forgot my camera. So only written adventure this time. It was a work related trip but that didn't stop me from an adventure. One of my co-workers is Vietnamese and has a pretty interesting story. Minh was a soldier in the South Vietnam Army and as such after the war was send to a "re-education camp" isn't that a nice term for prison (kind of like calling torture enhanced interrogation). After he got out he headed to the US and has had a successful life here and raised a family. After coming to the states he settled in the biggest and oldest area populated by Vietnamese refugees, right here in Orange County called Little Saigon. I was fortunate to get him to take me on adventure through the area along with dinner in a restaurant that without a guide I would have been lost (I would have been lost anywhere in this area because nothing is in English). First the food, I had a beef, vegetable and soft noodle in a sauce that was fantastic (just don't ask me to pronounce the name). The patrons and staff I'm sure had a good chuckle over the cracker trying to eat soft noodles and sauce with chop sticks as forks and spoons were not an option. We finished the meal with some Vietnamese coffee that was strong enough that I haven't slept in 64 hours (j/k) but it was strong. The people in this area which if I had to guess is about a good 4 or 5 mile square area have built and incorporated architecture from their homeland and is a must for anyone visiting the LA area (although I would suggest a guide). More to follow.....
2 comments:
This week's "This American Life" featured a segment about Little Saigon. Sounds like an interesting place.
It is a cool little place
Post a Comment