Monday, June 29, 2009

hey look, a garden!

Well, with all the craziness of skool and work, I almost forgot that we have a backyard. Now that it is almost June, the spring plantings are finally starting to take off after a very soggy couple of months (well, soggy for VA) and the yard is back to the happy chaos that I love:

The shady ornamental side:


And the all-business sunny food side:
OK, so maybe the sunflowers aren't all business, but don't they look cute behind the tomato bushes? Plus, the birds planted them and I just love that kind of serendipity... oh and look, we got tomaters!
We also have tons of kale, some chard, basil (sweet and cinnamon) and cayenne peppers. Cukes are struggling along (think they may have gotten a little too much rain this past month), but there is one (yeah, just one) that is almost ready to harvest...
Anyway, not bad for a tiny patch of land! I love what can be done in a small amount of space... and things we grow ourselves are always better than what can be bought at the store!

1 comment:

Ishmael said...

Ah, I'm jealous as usual of your garden, especially the tomatoes and cayenne....

Lots of sunshine in Kodiak so far this summer, but with just enough rain to make things green....