
The MC was Jimmy Smits and because we wanted to get good seats for the fireworks we had to rely on the huge screen they had in place to see anything, but hey it's a concert you really only need to hear. We were smart and when we hit the gate we sent the kids to race for a good seat, and I think they got the best in the house for the music and fireworks. Thanks Kids!!
The first act up was Huey Lewis and the News and they had the crowd up and shaking off the rain.
At 58 Huey can still bang out a song on the harmonica and bounce around the stage. They sang The Heart Of Rock & Roll, The Power Of Love and Workin For A Livin.
The music even had us up clapping and getting our groove on (as seen by the strange dance move of the boy).
There was a great light show on the backdrop used over the stage such as this one done while Opera Singer Harolyn Blackwell sang. She also did a great job on the National Anthem.
At this point I put the camera away to keep it from getting wet and the fact I had no reason to get shots or even hear the next performer. As we contemplated finding the port-a-potty, on he came and started singing. I have to admit and don't laugh but I was totally impressed with Taylor Hicks of American Idol fame singing. He did a Bruce Springsteen song and he was spot on. Impressed but I won't be joining the Soul Patrol anytime soon.
Next up was Jerry Lee Lewis and all I can say is WOW. He sounds and plays the piano the same as he has for the past 54 years. Not only did he have the crowd up on their feet for "Great Balls of Fire" but watch what happens at the end of the video, too fitting.
And to end the performances and what fireworks display isn't complete (in a big city) without Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" and a few Howitzers (courtesy of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Salute Guns Platoon )
There were other performers such as Brian Stokes Mitchell, Hayley Westenra, Scott Hamilton
Erich Kunzel, Choral Arts Society of Washington, U.S. Army Herald Trumpets
"The Commandant's Own" U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps and a visit by 9 of the Team USA Olympians. A parting shot of the Capital at night and while the Mrs. thinks that the glow over the dome is an evil spirit being lifted from the Capital it is really a rain drop on the lens. Although didn't Jesse Helms leave us on July 4th????
No comments:
Post a Comment