Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oh Shenandoah, I long to see you, Away you rolling river,

And see it we did along with the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. We had planned on doing some hiking and camping a few weeks ago in the Shenandoah Valley, but because of the Mrs. unplanned surgery that plan was put on hold. When she was up for a drive we did do some recon to the area and had a great day on Skyline Drive.








I guess they don't allow the little gnats outside the park, because this was the last time I could stand still for the rest of the day.














A view of the valley near Front Royal, the bummer was there was a lot of haze that day so visibility was limited.















The Dickey Ridge Visitor's Center has been in existence since 1928 and still going strong.












There are a lot of these Turkey Vultures (or as the Mrs. would say Cathartes aura) flying around. I kept an eye in the sky to make sure there wasn't a flock flying or my head, not a good way to find out your dead.














Japhy had a ball seeing as this was the longest ride he has had in years. He also enjoyed the constant stops to get out and smell the roses.














A view of the Blue Ridge Mountains, again the haze made for poor photos.
















The only tunnel on Skyline Drive everything else was built up and over. The project was part of the WPA started in 1931.














A parting shot of the mountains and a dead tree, looked cool to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so we are all clear... the mountains mentioned are actually hills that used to be mountains (thanks, erosion!). But, they are the best we've got, so I will take them.

Ishmael said...

Glad to hear da Mrs. is well enough to travel -- and to drink beer (as she was doing when she called to say howdy today).

But um... Are you sure you got the name of your dog right? I'm pretty sure there are a couple "f's" in it, and little if any "p's"....

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

oops, typo and yes she is back to normal

Ishmael said...

Wait.... Vultures? Really?