Saturday, March 14, 2009

10 years of Japhy-ness

Today is Japhy's 10th birthday. Since I have had him since he was a pup, that means that we have been together twice as long as The Man and me. For those of you who do not know the story of japhy, I got him when I worked for the Multnomah Education Service District's Outdoor School program (seriously, click on the link- mad cool stuff and a big part of my life from the ages of 15-22, and the year I attended it when I was 11!). Anyway, the site at which I worked had a caretaker who lived out their year round with his family and their dog Sahara. Sahara had a litle roll among the Douglas Fir trees with a black lab from a neighboring farm, and a short while later, she gave birth to 11 little black puppies (no small feat for a golden dog). Anyhoo, I knew I wanted a boy with short hair (thinking then that shedding wouldn't be too much of a problem- yeah, right!), and Japhy soon came home with me:


Just a few weeks after his birth, when we were still both on site- note the sixth graders standing in the background. Yes, that little tiny black blob on my shoulder is now the 82-pounder we all know and love today.


One of our first outings after I took him home, to Washington Park in Portland. During this period in his life, Japhy often took to hiding under couches. He still would if he could fit, especially when there are thunderstorms or fireworks.

It's funny, right after this picture was taken I went to a party on the Molalla river for a friend who was going away. Japhy got sick on the winding mountain roads, puking right in the center console of my mom's car. However, it was also during that trip that we took him into the water and he automatically LOVED it. Of course, there began our struggle with constant ear infections, leading to the current indignity of the pink bandage and cone. Sigh. How 'bout some happy pictures, eh? Here is a little Japhylicious retrospective:








Well Japhs, you have been one of the best friends a girl could have. I love that you know so many words, including "cookie" and "shit". I love that you are still afraid of pretty much everything but still acted very brave when I needed help with that bear. I know in my heart that I owe you one for that day. I will never forget how many times you helped me find the right trail back when out hiking and were patient with me when I insisted that the other way was right until we turned around again only to go the way you suggested. I love that you know when I am sad or happy and know just what to do. I know everyone thinks their dogs are special, but you really are. I am very lucky to have had such a good companion over the years, and the fact that you saw me through the craziness of my 20's (and yes folks, some of those years were downright nutty) and helped keep me sane makes you even more remarkable. You are the best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok. i bawled my eys out!! love, mom and grandma