Thursday, August 21, 2008

Aimee Mann kicks ass.

I keep forgetting to write this post- which is really too bad, because it pertains to one of our coolest times here in DC. A couple of weeks ago, we got to see Aimee Mann! We got quite the hookup to boot- our neighbor Chad used to work at this venue with a colorful history, and so he not only got us free tickets, but VIP passes as well. Good thing too, cause the joint was PACKED. And HOT. And we got to sit above it all- Ms. Mann even addressed us at the end of the show, saying that we looked like a judges' panel ;-)

Before I proceed, if you haven't ever heard the music of Aimee Mann, you have been missing out on something wonderful and beyond description. A little bit of folk, a little bit of rock, with an undercurrent of punk running straight through. Her songs often seem sweet and melodic, but the lyrics are often haunting and hint at her own crazy past. If you ever saw the movie Magnolia, she did the soundtrack! In fact, we were lucky enough to hear her play "Save Me" at the show.

At any rate, here are some pics of the evening:

First we went to dinner at Utopia, a yummy restaurant/gallery, and whilst Carolyn and I were being cute...


Damn, I look huge in this pic. Thanks to The Man for yet another flattering photo!
Oh well, at least I'm not passed out in a hospital bed.

...the menfolk were being silly:



Below are some shots and vids of the show- Aimee Mann rocks. And The Man has a huge crush on her. Frankly, I think I do too after seeing her live! She is truly hilarious, telling stories between each song, often littered with swear words. So could be my BFF.

Note the huddled masses:

The lady herself:


Playing one of my all-time favorite songs (from Lost in Space, my fave album of hers):



And another (from her new album):



YAY! What a good time... the cool thing is that Aimee does a Christmas show here at The Birchmere each year. Apparently it is full of raunchy humor, cuss words, and great music. We are so gonna be there!



edit: Okay I have had a crush on her since her beginning with "Till Tuesday" back in the 80s, as this picture shows her back then but at 48 she is still a very good looking woman and sounds better.


4 comments:

Ishmael said...

That really does look like a fun time! Great audio quality on the videos, too. What kind of camera are you using?

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

yup the venue is set up great for the sound although I found out pictures are okay but not video. The camera is the same old Fujifilm Finepix S700.

Ishmael said...

Well, surreptitiously filmed or not, it's good video and audio!

Which one is Aimee in the 'til Tuesday picture?

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

the blond on the left