Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Beaten by an old Lady

Tomorrow begins the Great Summer 2007 Gulf of Alaska to the North Atlantic Road Trip (okay Air trip), that sounds cooler then it really is. I start my trek at 7:40AM (Thurs) and arrive in Bean Town at 7:00AM Friday!!!!! But its free so I can't complain and besides I might feel what something above 70 degrees feels like.

Now my plan was to come home from work relax a little and pack, THEN the phone rang. It was the Mrs. asking if I could come up and help with the fruits of her Subsistence Fishing Program (this is never a good call). So until 8:00PM I helped fillet and wrap 200 Salmon and 200 lbs of Halibut from 2 100 pounders. All was going well while I was filleting, I was in my groove and not leaving enough meat on the fish to feed a family of flys UNTIL.... she showed up!!!

She is Grace a 69 year old Yup'ik Eskimo from Nunivak Island located in the Bering Sea. As she told me she came to Kodiak 36 years ago to "party" and hasn't left since. When she arrived to help she intimidated not only myself but the 2 other gentlemen that were filleting. She did circles around the three of us together

While we used our handy dandy fillet knives, Grace used her custom made ULU with a Ivory handle.

So I was beaten by an old woman again. It was okay as she had us in stitches and told us some cool stories and taught us some Yup'ik words. I will try and post of our adventures (mine and the kidlings back on the right coast. Until then Quyanna (Thank You) for reading

No comments: