Monday, July 30, 2007

The good news is I didn't get shot!!!

Yesterday's adventure was umm umm umm okay... I have to be nice to my elders so let's just leave it at interesting. I went out for a day of fishing with our ole friend Frank who bless his heart is still pretty spry for a 90 year old. That said he should NOT drive a car or NOT drive a boat anymore especially his boat that was probably the classiest stylish craft to sail the Gulf of Alaska 40 years ago!! Being stuck in his ways and stubborn we do things his way (with me fixing everything and watching over his shoulder). Ok venting over. Other than that we had a good day and caught lots of fish including the biggest Salmon (Coho) I've caught up here, a black bass, two halibut and a skate. Now for you East Coasters who are probably wondering why I even mention a little maybe 1/2 lb skate, let me tell you the skate here are 30-40lbs huggge.





Here is Frank bringing in the skate with his what I call the "cheating" reel. Its an electric reel that once you have hooked the fish you press a button and the motor does all the work bringing up the fish. Of course at 90 he has earned it and I don't want him to keel over out on the ocean. I was just mad because he didn't let me use it and I had to manually bring the rest of the catch in from 120' (can you say Ben Gay?)







While trolling for Cohos we caught sight of a Gray whale and we figured he was looking for bait fish just like the Cohos were so we decide to follow him and hopefully catch a fish. Well after following him around for 10 minutes I lost sight until I looked behind me and almost dropped my camera












Another of the same whale















This is the best attempt to date to get a "decent" picture of a puffin. These birds are the least cooperative of any of my subjects










The last photo before these guys moved to their new temporary home in our freezer. This guy was difficult to get up and in the boat especially since I kind of had to do it myself, so Frank to lend me a hand grabbed his Colt 45 cal and SHOT the fish in the head!!!! now thats what you do with maybe a 200 or 300 lb fish but not a 40lb. The Mrs. knowing at this point last night at 8:30 knew I had had ENOUGH of the adventure and fillet the butts even though she had her own adventure entertaining a Russian delegation all day

No comments: