Friday, January 11, 2008

Getting our rocks off

This post is a special from the Mrs.
So, we went and peeped out the Natural History Museum a few weeks ago... The Man posted a few pics, but I thought I would make use of the 478 pictures I took in the mineral exhibit and show some of the finest specimens here. Yes, I know this may seem a bit redundant, but The Man has been sick, its been about a week since the last post, so just enjoy the pictures and my witty geogeekacal narration.


I have lots of fluorite specimens in my own humble collection, but nothing as cool as this. Didn't even know that fluorite came in this color- and it's about 2 feet across!



Azurite is another one of my favorite stones. I have a very small piece in my collection that is rather valuable. This specimen, about 18 inches across, is more priceless than the Hope Diamond in my book...

OK, not my most flattering picture, but who the hell actually asks their husband, "Hey honey, woulja take a shot of me with this rock?", and actually have said husband oblige (I am lucky).



I must have stood in front of this display for about 15 minutes, drool running slowly down the corners of my mouth. Fortunately, The Man drew me away before the excited twitching really started to kick in.

Well, it sure has been nice sitting in on The Man's blog. I should do this more often. Next time, I'll talk about my trip to the National Gallery of Art, in which I saw works created by Monet, Renoir, Seurat, Rembrandt, Rubens, Titian, Rodin, Manet, Giotto, Botticelli, Bosch, El Greco, Duccio, and many more. Funny thing, I am going to have to go back there before I can do a blog post. Seems I was so in awe when I was passing through that taking pictures slipped my mind. It was a religious experience. Love, The Mrs.

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

Lizzy!

I had no idea you were into rocks and minerals! I had a minor in that stuff (which, of course, means I forgot almost all of it), but I never lost my enthusiasm for it!

Do you read Christy at the Cape blog? She's a geologist who worked Kodiak two summers ago, and now teaches in South Africa.

Anonymous said...

Kewl! No offense, but didn'tcha ever notice all of the rocks laying around the house? of course, we were usually always drinking, so yer off the hook.

Hey, I scored some salt water taffy for you at that shop. I needs yer mailing address so I can send it your way. Send me an e-mail at elizamac117ATgmail

Ishmael said...

Mmmmm.... Saltwater taffy....

Thanks! I'll share it with the gang.