Saturday, January 26, 2008

She's a Maineac!

The Mrs. sits in yet again...

Well, after a whirlwind trip to The Big Apple (which was ever so much fun!) I got the chance to spend a few days in Maine with my friend Amy... turns out that her car died, and her parents, who live south of us in Richmond, VA bought her a new one. So, guess who was asked (and happily volunteered) to take it up to Maine for her- road trip!

The journey was definetely a bit of a marathon. Part of me thought that I may be getting too old for this kind of stuff, but I am happy to say that I was able to, over the course of less than 36 hours:

-Drive back to Alexandria from NYC
-Deal with the drama of having our camera disappear and stay up until 11 pm on Monday trying to recover it
-Wake up at 2:30 am on Tuesday and be on I-95 N by 3:15 am
-Cross the GW Bridge in NY without getting my friend's car crushed in the free-for-all after the toll plaza there ( I was surrounded by NYC produce trucks and cabs- and it was rush hour. There is no messing around in that kind of situation.)
-Visit for 1.5 hours with the in-laws in Mass and manage to speak coherently despite the mighty Road Buzz
-Roll up into ME, have Mexican food, two Sea Dog Brewery beers (YUM) and two mangoritas and still be able to function socially. All I can say is:
Yep, still got it.

As far as Maine, had a nice few days visiting with Amy, and another friend Derek, who are both transplants from Kodiak. Lotsa good food, laughs, and even got to see Amy (who is quite the violin virtuoso) perform! Her home is full of dogs, birds, and other assorted animals and it is always such fun to visit. Plus, Maine pretty much rocks... could really see myself living there and have told The Man that we should maybe try to get up yonder for awhile...

Here are some obligatory pics:

mmm... Margaritas. That's Amy. Yes, I was tired and cut off the top of her head.











This is Amy and Derek. I'm sure that they will be delighted that I posted such a flattering pic of them on the Interwebs...





Amy's dogs- clockwise from top right: Dexter, Lazlo, Noah, and Magpie.
Magpie won't be with us much longer, so it was good to see him too :-(


The world's most amazing burger. Stuffed with cheese and caramelized onions, then smoked. I almost fell out of my chair. A creation of Derek's at the restaurant in which he is chef, the Riverside in Augusta. Worth the trip!
The Sea Dog Brewery Brunswick location, which is in an old textile mill. The Man was stoked when I told him about the drink specials!

There's more to come, but my typing finger needs a break!

No comments: