Which if you do the research is the ancient Irish and Celtic festival ( end of summer and the harvest season) that has transformed into what we now call Halloween, of course the word Halloween is derived from All-hallow-even, as it is the eve of "All Hallows' Day", which is now known as All Saints' Day. All Hallows Day was a day of religious festivities in various northern European Pagan traditions. Now as with any great American holiday the true spirit of the day is lost to commercialisation so instead of celebrating the end of harvest or saints we eat (and buy) candy and buy expensive outfits for the kids. My little diatribe aside, the last 4 Halloweens in Kodiak have been GREAT, we buy bags of MY favorite candy (Reese's) and not one kid shows up at the door. Now being one to not waste food........... This year was different, we bought the usual 4 bags of assorted candy (Reese's included) and as I type this blog all I'm looking at is a few Dum Dums sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I had to wrestle a little 8 year old when he tried to grab the last Reese's ( I won because during the struggle I licked it and we all know that once its licked its over).

All kidding aside we had a fun night of passing out little treats and what appears to be the tradition here is all the neighbors gather out in front of their houses and meet the little ghosts and goblins as they walk by and in between interact and socialize with each other without e-mail and chat involved.

After a busy night and a sugar high the Mrs. settles in for some South Park
2 comments:
Sounds like a great time! Halloween here was so-so. Though there is a picture of Lisa all dressed up on the KoKon.
Look at the Mrs..... Is that like a real hair do instead of Kodiak style?
Also, why didn't you have couches that comfortable looking when you lived up here?
It was nice and mellow... wish we had a fun partay to go to, tho!
Thanks for the comment on my hairstyle. I had it colored and cut in Portland before we got here. I'm trying to go for that "sophisticated ragamuffin" look.
In regards to the couches... we didn't get those in Kodiak because they would have been like $5000, plus tax. We got a great deal on them here!!!!
Miss you lots... will give you a call soon. The Mrs.
Post a Comment