Yesterday we went to the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, well to the sculpture garden part and saw some famous works by Rodin and other famous sculptors including an interesting item from Yoko Ono.
Here I am with my "wife beater" shirt posing in the Garden ( classy ).
A general view of the garden.
Another Rodin "Crouching Woman"
This is Gaston Lachaise's "Standing Woman" and was cast in 1932. It's funny how our society has changed and now to be excepted someone would need to cast a sculpture of a stick figure called "size two" .
An interesting piece (I thought), it reminds me of the world as we are treating it and where we are heading. It is called Sphere No. 6 and done by Arnaldo Pomodoro an Italian Sculptor in 1926.
This one left me scratching my head, this is Yoko Ono's piece called "The Wishing Tree" you write your wish on a piece of paper and tie it to the tree???, I'll let you interpret the art there.
3 comments:
My dear husband, you are sometimes so unobservant. The "wishes" are tied to the tree by visitors, using the tags and pencils provided. The wishes are then collected and sent off to be part of an installation in Iceland (I think- need to double check).
I read many of the wishes... some were intensely personal, most were altruistic, and each one gave insight into the person leaving it. This is such a strong statement about the power of wishes and how our yearnings as individuals unite us as a people. So there. Love, The Mrs.
How many museums are there in DC? How long will it take to see them all? I heard it would take 100 years to see everything in the Smithsonian collection (including behind the scenes) if you spent 1 minute with each thing.
I've heard there are around 25 different museums here. That's a lot considering DC is only the size of a small town.
Post a Comment