One of the things that The Man did
not show the other day in his blog about our rooftop sanctuary is that we also do composting up there. Not a very large operation... I just use a rectangular milk crate so that there is plenty of air circulation- and it is rot-resistant. And, if a compost bin is cared for with regular aeration , it does not smell at all. In fact, one of my favorite scents is that when turning a well-maintained bin o' compost... smells like fresh soil when turning garden beds in the spring. This batch contains mostly debris from our neighbors' elm tree, grass clippings, and veggie/fruit scraps. I am happy to say that in just a couple of months, we got this nice batch of glorious dark compost with which to mulch and fertilize our plants:

Yum! This pic really doesn't show what a rich dark color this stuff is- pure nutrients for the garden. I'm amazed at how the warm temps and the humidity here make composting very quick. At this point last year in AK, my compost pile was just starting to thaw out! Over the next few days, I'm letting it "cook" a bit on the patio to bake out any critters, then I'm going to go and make my plants VERY happy. YAY!
For more info on composting, check out Compost Guide. You know you want to- it's cheap, organic, and your plants will love you for it!
2 comments:
Quit showing off -- you're in DC where there's a couple feet of compost in every legislator's office.
You missed a great crab fest! Almost like the one two years ago when you and the hubby spent the weekend on the beach in Chiniak.
We do wear our xtratufs when we get close to the White House and the Capital, funny thing is most people look at us and say "WOW thats a great idea, where can I get a pair?"
I heard about the Crab fest, you guys had a break in the 40 days and 40 nights of rain but I also hear that you started another 40 days and nights of more rain.
Post a Comment