Thursday, October 9, 2008

A little bit of catch up...

It has occurred to me that we have not posted a great deal of pictures from the Mass and Portland trips. And so, here are some more shots from MA (PDX photos to follow in a near-future post):

We went to Plimoth Plantation, which in addition to a wonderful recreation of the original settlement by those genocidal Europeans...

..., also boasted an extraordinary recreation of a Wampanaog village.


We then went from there to see the Mayflower II. It was tiny, as was Plymouth Rock nearby. I dunno why I would have thought the Rock to be bigger, but it was the size of a small boulder by Alaska/NW standards. Too funny! That being said, though, it was pretty nifty to see. Sadly, no photos, as there was construction going on in the structure that surrounds it. It was very cool to be on the Mayflower... I marveled at the courage of those who made that voyage. Despite the fact that I question many of their actions once reaching America, they were some pretty brave folks. So ends my time on the soapbox ;-)


And, on the brother-in-law's two-penny road tour of Marshfield he showed us remnants of the Pilgrim Trail, by which pilgrim folk would get from Plymouth to Boston.


Much to his amusement, I was more taken by the diversity of mushrooms in the area. I am such a dork.

And what blog about New England would be complete without more shots of the fam?

The Girls loved The Dog (and vice versa):

The Girls also loved presents, as the Virginia contingent of their family helped them celebrate their birthdays a bit early:

Note the beanie on the Little Girl's head. I made the Big Girl one just like it, then had to fudge the size for the Little One because she returned home while I was working on it at the beach. Hence, she looks like she is wearing a yarmulke. Oh well, I can't nail good knitting all the time, I suppose...

Before the fam left the beach house, we had a delicious dinner at The Sun Tavern, a delightful place with a very interesting history. Really, click here to learn about the hermit. Haunted or not, all I know is that my meal (cardamom-encrusted scallops) was nothing short of divine!

Nice bunny ears, kiddo!

No comments: