Saturday, April 25, 2009

eeeeewwwwww....

I mentioned in a previous comment on the blog that I probably seem like just an awful housekeeper. As proof positive of this, I even have strange things growing in the cupboards:

Doesn't that look just disgusting? And guess what? I actually drink the liquid on a regular basis. This is called Kombucha, and is basically tea fermented with a symbiotic combination of various yeasts and bacteria, often called the Kombucha "mushroom" or "mother". It actually tastes quite good... sort of like tart apple cider with a little fizz and is excellent with a little ginger and Spirulina! Plus, Kombucha is chock-full of health benefits. It is full of probiotics and enzymes, and helps to strengthen the immune system and cleanse the liver. So, every 10 days or so, I bottle up the liquid (leaving some to act as a "starter"), add some green tea and sugar back to that, lay the mother back on top and the cycle begins anew. I even got The Man to try a sip. Once. But, this is one of my favorites, so if you ever see me with a suspicious-lookng bottle with odd bits floating in it, now you will know what it is ;-)

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

I had some friends in Soldotna who made this stuff. Never got me to try it, though....

Are those tentacles hanging down, or reflections?

So if it's fermented, does it become alcoholic?

The Mrs. said...

I know, those "tentacles" look creepy, but it really is just the reflection. Since Kombucha is fermented, there is a chance of a slight amount of alcohol in the finished product, but not much (something like 0.05%). You'd have to drink alot of the stuff to get a buzz!

kellie said...

I have made a wine from tea and I wasn't too crazy about it. I added ginger to it and sugar and some white grape juice.