Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pretty things...

It has occurred to me that the last couple of posts showing the yard have looked, well, like butt. I thought I would do a blog to show that things are coming along nicely... and that, while the season is young, the yard looks way less butt-y than before:

The hostas are making quite the appearance:

And the beets are just about to send out their true leaves:

Being a Portland girl, I do have a couple of roses in the yard... these are sweet little sweetheart roses from last year & it looks like they are coming on strong, despite being in a shady part of the yard.

And thanks to these guys:


There are sunflowers popping up in some very serendipitous spots...


Peas in a hanging basket... Oregon Snap Peas, which are a compact variety that I think will do well in here:


Little mesclun sprouts (no bro-in-law, not THAT kind):


Oh, and our neighborhood blue jay made his first appearance of the year- good to see you!

And while these wild violets can be a bit weedy, they sure are purty:

Won't be long now until I get the tomatoes, peppers, etc out there. Will be planting my calendula sprouts later today, which will (a) look pretty (b) keep pests at bay and (c) enable me to make an awesome moisturizing oil with the flowers. Will keep you posted!

No comments: