Saturday, July 14, 2007

It might not be Moby Dick but it was dinner

After the Mrs. got home from work today (leading another hike up Old Woman's) we decided to go slay some fish. Don't know why seeing as I have 12 fillets sitting in brine waiting to be smoked, but fishing we went. We started out taking a ride out the road to the Olds River (one of our favorite spots) but alas as the photo shows there wasn't a fish to be had only a skunk

If I was really hungry I could have brought home fresh beef as these guys were free ranging on the beach right down at the mouth of the Olds.

From the Olds we moved up to the mouth of Buskin River to try our luck. The mouth is located at the end of the runway for the Kodiak International Airport, so I caught a C-130 and also as we Kodiakians call it "the jet" (we only get 2 a day) taking off


The Mrs. caught the first fish but he spit out the hook towards the end and will live to see another day.
I had to fill the dinner table tonight with my monster catch, okay so it was a small Dolly Varden trout but enough for the two of us to enjoy with some rice.

No comments: