This is the Mrs.' boss Mike. He is a reformed corporate type who now prides himself on the fact that he is growing out his hair. I his hand he holds two chitons... we ended up harvesting about 150 that day!
A closeup of the chitons- that fleshy orange part is the foot, the yummy chewy bit that is eaten. It is best cut right out when on the beach! Kinda nutty and sweet.
This is Ron Lind, who lives in the village of Karluk. He was in town and came out with us. A very kind man...
This is Flossie, the Tribal Administrator where I work. She is representing for the fierce Inupaiq Eskimo peeps- her family is originally from Barrow, and she lived in Anchorage for many years before coming to Kodiak. She is very accomplished (law degree say what?) and a great artist...always sewing skins, making kuspuks (berry-picking dresses) and such. She is also a Veteran!!
A nice view of all the kelp on Spruce Cape.
This was a couple days later- I went out the road with Herman, to go octopus hunting. All we got was this little guy, who we let go to get bigger.
Here I am, slurping the yummy eggs out of a chiton shell. SO GOOD!!!! Please try to ignore all of the chins.
Herman and I saw this eagle sitting by the side of the road on the way back to town
No comments:
Post a Comment