Saturday, November 17, 2007

8 Hour Adventure and home in bed by 1:00 PM!!

Well the first part was an adventure in itself just getting up at 5AM (well getting the Mrs. up) getting ready, motivated and out of the house by six.








I did have a little help in the form of two cans that give you wings... Thank You Red Bull















After the Red Bulls she was able to knit 3 pairs of socks, 4 scarves and a hat on the 15 minute train ride into the city







So with the first part over and a complete success we arrived at the National Mall in front of the Smithsonian for what was to be the main part. In reality it was only supposed to be a walk to get some exercise. Every weekend we have been getting our walk on (and trimming down very nicely I might add) so this weekend I figured we would start with some organized walking by doing a 5k walk. It was an event for homeless people in the DC Metro area and what caught my ear was there are a lot of veterans that are homeless (which we knew anyway) so I figured some walking while helping the homeless vets and the less fortunate in general. I figured we would be walking with a few hundred people and it would be cool to walk around the Nation's Capital...WOW was I surprised at what happened next....






At 7:00 we got to the staging area and it took us only 10 minutes or so to pick up our T-shirt and sign in. At this point there were a few hundred people and I thought okay we are all here, lets get this party started










One thing I noticed were the amount of volunteers and staff walking around, they out numbered the walkers by 2-1. And this looked like a LOT of stuff and area for just a 5k walk













Here I am sporting my new T-shirt over my sweatshirt which is over another shirt (yes its finally cooling down here)







Then it happened within an hour this is what my estimate of how many would show at 7:00 AM turned into...... 20,000 yes I said 20,000 no extra zeros in there. We had NO idea how big an event this was and how many peeps (I think I would have just donated the money if I had known), but it was all good because besides the money the amount of people showing up brought the awareness to the attention of the local people and news outlets.

They even had a DJ and live music throughout the day including Michael MacDonald (Doobie Brothers / Steely Dan Fame) and someguy from Hootie and the Blowfish








Here we are Marching on the Capital, no wait that was a different rally. Here we are at the start of the 20th Annual Help The Homeless Walkathon














This kind of gives you an idea, notice the people banking up to the right. Standby for part 2 later

2 comments:

Ishmael said...

That's a hoot. More people than the whole Rock..... Wild.

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

it was wild and more people then I want to deal with at one time