Sunday, November 25, 2007

Hanging in the hood

Yesterday was our Thanksgiving here so in order to help the Mrs. prepare the feast we left the house. I've found the best way to help and do my part is to not be around while she is creating. The kiddos and myself decided to wander around town and play down at the waterfront.







We started out with a little frisbee down at the park (Japhy's favorite activity). The weather was perfect and the park and waterfront were surprisingly empty so we had it all to ourselves.













After a few tosses the girl opted for the lounge mode














The Cherry Blossom is an authentic split sternwheeler, she is a re-creation of a 19th century Victorian riverboat, complete with ornate iron railings and a plush interior of brass and mahogany. From Old Town she cruises the Potomac River













The "Oh my God not another picture" pose down at the old Torpedo Factory













While wandering around we passed Gadsby's Tavern, a 1785 tavern / hotel that is rich in America's history. Many political meetings were argued over a few pints of ale I'm sure. This is also where Washington gave his last military order to his troops, I think it went something like.... "Lets Parrrrrrrtttttyyyy"








After getting tired of him and his drunk horse being pulled over on the 11 mile ride back to Mt. Vernon, GW bought this townhouse a few blocks from Gadsby's Tavern. I'm going out on a limb here but I venture to say the wood siding and steps are a newer addition. Actually the stone that you see is the only remaining part of the original house.






At this point I'm sure the Nat. Education Association is writing up a life long ban letter to me, from ever teaching American History anywhere.


After our wanderings we returned to be greeted by a fantastic turkey dinner with all the fixings. The Mrs. out did herself by making everything from scratch including the apple pie that the boy keeps going back for more

No comments: