The mural on the outside of the building kind of lets you know the general theme of the place.
That's Grisman on the mandolin- the cool thing is after 40 years of making his own style of bluegrass music his new bass player is also his young son Samson.
One thing that was really cool about the show was that Grisman took us through the history of bluegrass by playing favorites from the Carter Family, Earl Scruggs, and many more, interspered with stories and compositions of his own. Here is a video of them gettin' down- the little jam in the middle is something else! (Sadly, I can't remember the name of the song.)
A note from The Mrs.: All I know is that last night I got to see one of my icons, my musical heros, play "Old and in the Way" and "Shady Grove", which he dedicated to Mr. Garcia. All I know is that now, I can officially die happy. There were moments during this performance when the sheer power of this amazing music had a profound impact on the crowd. After many years of listening to Grisman's distinctive style on recordings, to hear it live was just awe-inspiring. What a great night!
2 comments:
lizzie, i have not seen davey as he was once called for over 35 years. he was a true "wanderer" back in the day staying at the "party palace" in marin and various other haunts. he is one of the reasons i lovvvvvve me some bluegrass love mom
Sweet! Very cool... but I'm not surprised ;-)
Post a Comment