Yesterday, we went down to the 21 st annual Rolling Thunder rally. Rolling Thunder is a nationwide organization of bikers who serve to publicise POW-MIA issues and try to get these people home. This rally is no joke. There were an estimated 350,000 bikes that descended on DC, riding from The Pentagon through Arlington Cemetery and ending at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. This was like nothing I had ever seen in my life. The sheer amount of numbers- not only in bikers, but in spectators who came out on this day was so moving. All I can say is good thing that my friend Carolyn had an extra pair of sunglasses for when I got emo.
We started out by Arlington Cemetery, where the bikes ride across the bridge into DC:
As everyone crossed the bridge into DC, they were greeted by a saluting Marine.
There was a stage set up near the Lincoln Memorial where there were performers and speeches. We managed to hear the parents of Keith Matthew Maupin speak while we were there. He disappeared in Iraq in 2004, and his remains were finally delivered back to his family this year. Try not being moved by that.
One thing that I though was really interesting is that I didn't see any of the bikers wearing any of their colors- unless they pertained to Rolling Thunder and/or the military. I'm assuming that there were patch holders there from many different motorcycle clubs, but obviously this is meant as a time when we set aside the things that make us different, the social and political weapons of human nature, and stand together to honor those who are not here today.
One patch that I did see in abundance said, "P.T.S.D: not all wounds are visible". We must acknowledge that for every soldier whose body dies in war, there are many more whose souls die- and even though they may return seemingly unscathed, more often than not these soldiers become casualties later as a result of alcohol, drugs, and/or mental illness. It is for these individuals that veterans' benefits are being denied due to "personality disorders" and this is something of which we should all be ashamed. In other words, there are many, many more names that should be on The Wall:
We also had the most incredible timing with our arrival there. We did not go down to The Wall proper, but in the lawn above it, there was this man paying homage in one of the most extraordinary and spontaneous moments I have ever witnessed. The Man took a video, but it is not playing properly... but just imagine a grizzled-looking biker playing Taps on a bugle and having it echo out over the memorial. I almost lost it.
In case you are wondering about the title of the post, that is the phrase that is said at the hourly change of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Please take a moment today to think about those soldiers who have passed. Regardless of political thoughts or social sensibilities, we should all care very deeply for those that this day was intended to honor.
Edited to add: this was our 300th post! Can't think of a better topic for this little milestone...
No comments:
Post a Comment