Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Famous flowers

Today I went into DC for a bit (more on that later), and as I was walking around the Mall, this jumped out at me against the monochromatic palette of February:



Can it be? Are those the famous Washington cherry blossoms before me?

Upon closer inspection...


Yep, those be them famous cherry blossoms. And, since I walked all around Washington today, I can say with certainty that this is the first tree a-bloomin'. I can also say with certainty that my feet hurt. Yikes.


I walked from the Supreme Court, through downtown almost to the White House and back, with stops at the Natural History Museum (big surprise, but in my defense, they do have a new exhibit on the coevolution of plants and butterflies) and the Hirschorn Museum to look at some utterly wonderful (but sometimes confusing) modern art. There are literally blisters on top of blisters. However, my neverending pursuit of knowledge is well worth having sore feet.

(BTW, if you want to know where to find the tree, it's right in front of the Air and Space Museum.) Love, The Mrs.

No comments: