Friday, February 9, 2007

I call it paradise you call it hell on earth

Living in Kodiak is a state of mind, I look at the beauty of endless mountains and coastline and an abundance of wildlife that you don’t see elsewhere or at least in such a small concentrated area. Any given day we see dozens of deer, eagles, sea lions, sea otters, ravens and the occasional Kodiak brown bear.


Unlike other areas a trip to the beach is a one minute walk across the street or a hike through a coastal rainforest is a five minute walk from the house and some of the best salmon fishing is moments away. Now when we feel real venturesome a 15-20 minute drive puts us miles from other people to some of the best hiking where you start with a walk on the beach and can end up 2500’ up a mountain side (okay I haven’t done that hike yet) but you get the point. An example was last Memorial Day weekend when we drove 30 minutes out of town for a weekend of camping. We set up camp right down on the beach, a half mile stretch of pristine area with rolling hills and trails behind us. The whole weekend we didn't see another soul except for when our friends came for an afternoon of king crab and beer, we did have to share the area with several seals, eagles, a humpback whale and a few grunts from a bear that was close by.


Now you might say where is he going with this….. To often I hear people bitching and complaining about not having any malls, lots of restaurants, clothing stores, Taco Bell (okay I want my TB to), fast internet etc… Well this all goes to the fact that we live on a remote island 250 miles from the big city, I look at it as a trade off. Instead of running to Pizza Hut 2 or 3 times a week we make our own pizza which in my opinion tastes better anyway and as the below coupon shows a HELL of a lot cheaper.


Instead of eating breakfast out a couple of times a week (at $25. a pop) we settle with making a smoked salmon omelet, which would be a delicacy in a fancy restaurant. Or just having friends over often and share homemade meals and good wine. All in all I prefer the laid back lifestyle and beauty over all the modern conveniences of big city life, so one persons hell is another's Paradise

No comments: