Tuesday, February 27, 2007

lesson in sociology

So if I was your average American who clicks through the TV channels and gets snippets of news throughout the day I would have concluded after watching TV yesterday that we have a problem with global warming because Al Gore says so. Now I remember bits and pieces of the Oscars where Al Gore got an award for his documentary but the big news was Martin Scorsese finally winning an Oscar, that’s been all over the mainstream news. Now why would I conclude there is a problem with global warming and what does it have to do with the Oscars? Well after watching a few minutes of Hannity & Colmes all I heard was: Al Gore Al Gore global warming Al Gore Oscars global warming, then a few minutes of the O’Reilly Factor and heard: global warming Al Gore Al Gore Oscars global warming Al Gore, then a few minutes of several other cable news shows and heard about the right wing media (Hannity, O’Reilly, Rush) giving Al Gore a hard time about global warming Al Gore Oscars Al Gore global warming Al Gore. So thanks to Rush, Hannity and O’Reilly and my (and probably a lot of people) half heartedly paying attention one can only conclude there is a problem with global warming. I conducted an informal poll this morning amongst 7 or 8 people standing around talking and the conclusion was "yea global warming is a problem, its all over the news" This theory is also the reason if the presidential election was held today I believe the right wing media would be responsible for getting Hillary elected (God forbid).


Okay back to the beautiful wildlife pictures here in Kodiak, this guy was watching the Orcas with us yesterday.


No comments: