Monday, February 19, 2007

You Can't fall off a Mountain...Japhy Ryder

Today started out with good intentions, we planned on climbing Pillar Mountain but I was side tracked when I started channel surfing. Lo and behold there was a Three Stooges Marathon on ALL day!!!

I was quickly overruled so off the couch I came and off we went. The weather at the bottom was nice and sunny temp was in the 40s, so we figured it would be a nice hike.






This is about half way up. In the distance is Woody Island and further out is Long Island. Around this time the snow became thicker but easier to walk in then the thin layer that was mostly frozen down lower.







The antenna in the distance was the ultimate goal of the day to try and make it to the top, but we pretty much knew at this point it wasn't going to happen. But up we went.







We stopped a few times for some photo ops seeing as I remembered the tri pod this time. I stopped panting long enough to get this shot with the peaks of Three Sisters Mts behind us.






The snow was about 2 1/2' around this point. The reason we know this is this is a spot some idiot decided (probably in his big ole pick-up) that he could make it to the top. Needless to say this appears to be about 2 hours of digging out.





Another break and another photo op. To the right are 2 of the 3 Sister Mountains along with others that I don't even know if they have names. This is as far as we made it today with about 1/2 mile to go. The trail / road we took is about 3 miles from bottom to top and not a straight shot so we are happy we made it this far.






Tri pods are a great tool for getting a steady shot when your panting.


This is a parting shot looking down on Monashka Bay. Our house is all the way over on the right side. As I sit here writing this I am stiffening up and know tomorrow is going to suck, but no pain no gain.

No comments: