Monday, February 5, 2007
Nobel Peace Prize Joke
Ok so I am trying to keep this blog upbeat and not get political or to negative BUT….lets talk about the Nobel Peace Prize for a moment. Since the beginning of awarding the Nobel Peace Prize it has gone to some great individuals of our society that have dedicated their lives to various peace efforts whether in their own country or on a world scale. Some that come to mind are Mother Teresa for her poverty awareness in India, Nelson Mandela and Bishop Tutu for their work to end the apartheid regime, the 14th Dalai Lama for his peaceful pursuit to regain freedom for his people, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. for his work on civil rights and the list goes on and on. Last week Al Gore was nominated for his work on global warming by two Norwegian Parliament Members. Okay I can see how global warming can translate into world peace somewhere down the line if we do what we can to end or at least slow the process, but the former VP has had a slightly tainted past with his involvement (read: owning LOTS of shares) with Occidental Petroleum. This aside I commend him for at least trying and spending the last 20 years at least working on a solution to helping the environment. Now comes the real kick in the pants as I see it. The Landmark Legal Foundation-the leading conservative public interest law firm in the country has nominated Comedian Rush Limbaugh for the Nobel Peace Prize?????????. It gets better, the reason for his nomination is for his "nearly two decades of tireless efforts to promote liberty, equality and opportunity for all humankind, regardless of race, creed, economic stratum or national origin. These are the only real cornerstones of just and lasting peace throughout the world.". Now I understand that the right couldn't be out done by the left in such a serious matter but for me and I’m sure from a global perspective we have just made a mockery out of a time honored tradition. AND we wonder why the world hates America
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment