Another cool place we have here is called Fossil Beach and its appropriately named because there you can find scores of small fossilized sea life. The boy has a devote interest in Paleontology and has since he was little. Originally he thought this would be his life’s calling but he is starting to entertain archeology or other sciences as well. When they came for a visit this past summer we headed down there for a day of exploring and found some cool fossils that are thousands of years old, someone once told me that most in the rock there are over 10,000 years old but I don't know.
Here the boy finds one of the first of the day, there were lots of marine life embedded in the rocks
Most of the fossils you find are embedded in the shale cliff or what it looks more like is a wall. the shale constantly is falling apart revealing more shells and other things
The big find of the day was this. Now I'm no Paleontologist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express but it looks like an imprint of a fish in the rock
Here the Girl examines some rocks and around this time she was starting to get bored. Notice the "wall" behind her, this is where most of the fossils are and it is probably 50' - 60' tall
The Mrs.' and the Boy sifting through pieces of rock and shale while Japhy looks on hoping that someone will throw something for him

Another shell in a rock


3 comments:
Are they still called fossils even if they haven't fossilized? And no, that's not a "one-hand clapping" question....
Ish- many of them have been fossilzed. I guess that the others could be scientifically described as calcified marine invertebrates embedded in a sedimentary substrate. Or something. BTW, I would like to thank my husband for postin a pic of me in which I look as though I am taking a big dump.
see what I have to deal with when I ask the Mrs. a simple question!! and hunny I think that is your favorite position
Post a Comment