Japhy heading back after realizing he lost sight of me around the corner. He is such a chicken that we never have to worry about him getting lost
This is kind of a cool view of one of the runways at the ever so busy Kodiak International Airport. This runway is designed for only the best pilots, because remember I'm heading up a mountain and the base is RIGHT at the end of the runway. I have to question the runway engineer that came up with this brilliant plan. If you overshoot in fog or rain there is no room for error its land or crash into the side of the mountain.
About a mile and half into the hike you come to a turn where you can head up Barometer and even though the trail is cleared of snow right to the top I opted for the horizontal walk around the mountain rather then going vertical today (hey I wanted exercise not mountain climbing)
While at the Mrs. work the other day they were talking about some of the brownfield sites that their environmental folks had identified and are in the process of cleaning up, most coming from when the military was here back around WW II when we thought different out disposing of "stuff", and one of the folks mentioned all the un-exploded ordinance that is still laying around near Burma Road. I didn't think much until walking it today and came across this sign.
Basically it says there is ordnance there without saying there is ordnance there
I thought this was a cool shot. When they made Burma Road they had to cross a stream, now considering it was during WW II and they had to save metal for things like say bombs, ships, tanks, etc.... they made this culvert to run under the road out of wood. It looks like a big barrel almost
No comments:
Post a Comment