Saturday, May 26, 2007

Kodiak = Maine on Steroids

I heard that quote one time and if you've been to both places you would agree. Speaking of Maine, the Mrs' friend Amy came back to Kodiak from Maine for a visit. Amy is an accomplished Violinist that's has taught and played all around the country including Carnegie Hall. Originally from VA where the kiddlings live I wish she was back there to teach the girl (she plays Violin)






Amy spent the night and we sat around catching up. The Mrs. playing with Amy's dog (or as I called him "a mop")














Noah aka the mop











This morning we went to our favorite dive bar/restaurant, well it was 11 AM so I guess I should call it restaurant / bar. They serve the best Bloody Marys in Kodiak and the food is really good. That said, that's about the ONLY good thing I can say about the place. We were joined by a friend of Amy's who is an old timer from Alaska, who grew up in Petersburg down in SE AK. Turns out Nick was a cool guy with lots of stories of back in the day and a wealth of knowledge about Alaska and Kodiak history. At one point he was talking about some company that did this or that and how bad they were and he was telling the story like you would expect a 60 something year old to tell it being set in old ways and then he blurts out "Google it if you want to know more". Nick doesn't seem like he would be the type to use a computer let alone know how to google something. We talked for a few hours while enjoying our Bloody Mary's and my Halibut sandwich and left feeling pretty good about meeting Nick. Our adventures aren't always outdoors while doing things, this meeting was truly the adventure for the day


Amy and Nick. Nick drinks his BM with Gin instead of vodka, which we learned was the original way to make one. He also told us how the natives in the lower 48 would go around and pick up the apples that fell of the trees and throw them in a barrel and seal it. They would then come back 3 months later and tap the middle of the barrel and enjoy 100% apple jack alcohol.

No comments: