I have alluded to this Museum a few times in my post on Ft. Abercrombie and to me it is one of the coolest places here. The Alutiiq and Baranov Museums are also fantastic journeys back in history, but this one kind of represents modern history although 65 or so years ago. Having a vested interest in WW II (Dad was there), and having learned the "usual" war history (Germany, Italy, Japan, Pearl Harbor, etc...). To be in a place where the war actually happened and was so close by has been intriguing. Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me when I went to Unalaska so I could have captured the remnants of an actual battlefield or the big craters in the mountains and hills left over by bombs. Here are some photos from the Museum of what was dubbed the "Thousand Mile War" and if your really interested click here
An authentic Japanese flag (this belonged to a soldier and the writing on it are names and messages of good luck from all the people in his village), also a bayonet and rifle
Mike standing by a Jeep (not sure if its a Willys or Ford). Folklore has it that these vehicles were dubbed General purpose vehicles or GP for short and how do you pronounce GP = jeep!!
The kiddlings next to a Dodge Ambulance
While this picture scares the hell out of me, it is one of my favorites of the boy
No comments:
Post a Comment