Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The worst creatures on the planet and a good workout

And no this isn't about Global Warming. This evening we decided to take a hike which ends up the back side of Pillar Mtn. Its a nice trail through some valleys and a little hilly. When we got there 2 signs say no trespassing, this is due to it being close to the city water supply, now I understand prohibiting 4-wheelers or dirt bikes because maybe the gas and oil could seep into the water but why people hiking , what harm could we do?? So we went further down the road (actually to the end of the road) and hiked Termination Point a nice but somewhat grueling 6 mile trail that starts off straight up, ok maybe it just seems that way to me. We park the car and walk a few hundred yards from the trail head and well I'll show you what we saw.



Trash everywhere, hmmmm I guess the city water people have a point!!!! To often we see trash along side the road and at campsites, we try and pick up as much as we can but people have to realize they can't keep trashing this place, but then again they are ignorant and could care less. On we went and climbed Mt Everest or so it felt like (yes I'm whining a lot tonight) here are some shots of the hike







The ever so inquisitive Mrs. trying to figure out if this is Fox poo or young bear poo, my thoughts on the subject were "does it matter its poo, and stop playing with it before I hurl!!"













Once we got to the top about a mile or so along the trail, we stopped for pictures and for me to refill my oxygen tanks oh and have a smoke















Here I am having Japhy hold me up













A nice view of Monashka Beach from above








The next three pictures kind of give a view of the hill we climbed and yes I'm still whining, they were taken at different intervals going up






This is a cut bank on one of the many creeks. The Sheep's Wife was intrigued by the soil profile. The typical profile goes like this (from top to bottom): duff, topsoil, subsoil, bedrock. In this case, there is (from bottom to top) bedrock, subsoil, topsoil, duff, layer of Katmai ash from the 1912 Novarupta eruption, and new duff. Pretty nifty for us geology geeks out there.





The last comment was a better description then I would have given "hey look at the dirt" plus I thought bedrock was where Fred and Wilma Flinstone lived!!

No comments: