Saturday, June 30, 2007

Adventure and Misadventure Day

Today we had both an adventure and then a little misfortune, but it all worked out. The Mrs. went back to Afognak to work with the kids at Dig Afognak. Our friend Jen was taking her over while on marine patrol and I had to do some official business so she assisted me also. We headed over and had a great ride as it was calm, so I was able to take some nice shots. Problems started when we got over to Afognak when the steering went. One of the Elders who is well respected and seems that he can do anything seeing as he lives in a remote village and as he explained it you have to learn to fend for yourself to survive, assisted us for about an hour. But with all the minor things checked it appeared that we needed a new part for the steering. We were then invited into camp and offered food and coffee. After a meal of Elk, sea duck (I passed on that one because I know how it tastes), octopus and salad we lucked out when another boat was coming from the main land to pick up one of the people from the camp. That got us back to the mainland and then the person going back to town was someone I work with so he took us back to our cars. So all is good (at least for me but not Jen).








Looking off the stern of the Patrol Boat, if you follow our wake back about 2 miles and take a left and keep going you would hit Hawaii in 3 days















Our Captain and the Navigator (aka the Mrs)













The Mrs. again having a hard day at work. This morning she lead a hike to the top of Old Woman's and now she is on her way out to camp till Monday. Of course I can't give her to much grieve today as I'm going to use today's 5 hours as comp time this week (when the sun is shining)










This is Spruce Island where one of the few villages that make up Kodiak as a whole is located, the village is Ouzinkie. An important part of AK history as St. Herman the first Russian Orthodox Saint canonised in North America lived.






Ok so now the photos that made the whole trip worthwhile. I have posted a few pictures of whales in the past but they have been "hey look at that black speck, its a whale" Today the Photo Gods were with me and everything lined up and here are the results...



As I have said many times with my pictures they just can't due justice to the experience of viewing them in person and these are no exception, it was truly awe inspiring to see these majestic acrobatic mammals

2 comments:

Ishmael said...

Dude, those whale breeching shots are great!

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

thanks, it was pretty unreal