As I sit here typing the house is starting to smell pretty interesting (read funky) as the Mrs. is in the kitchen cooking up some of her bounty from today. Unfortunately the Sockeye (Red) Salmon is not amongst the delectables (we are saving some for sushi this weekend and then a few more meals of Sockeye fillets). Yesterday I joked about the fish head soup, well tonight I'm not joking and its not soup, she is making a fish stock for later use. She also threw in bunches of beach lovage that she collected today, which many folks here refer to by the Russian name of Petrushka... it tastes like parsley mixed with cilantro and is a favorite local flavoring for all things fish.

Doesn't that look Yummy!!! Once its strained and its just down to the liquid it will be good mixed in when I make homemade chowda or even when something that calls for a broth. Also cooking (and she is on her own eating this one) is caviar made from the sockeye eggs

Next it was onto the stinging nettles that she also gathered today, which she cooks into a creamy nettle soup. You'll notice that she is wearing gloves to break them apart, well that's because they don't call them stinging nettles for nothing. According to Wikipedia... "Bare skin brushing up against a stinging nettle plant tends to break the delicate defensive hairs and release the trio of chemicals, usually resulting in a temporary and painful skin rash similar to poison ivy, though the nettle's rash and duration are much weaker."

All in all she had a very productive day while during her subsistence fishing program gathering not only fish but other things for us to eat. Not bad considering all this was done at work AND she got paid for it. All I did was sit in an office today, I'm jealous.
No comments:
Post a Comment