Sunday, June 10, 2007

Fish 1 Me 0

With the nice weather today our buddy Frank called this morning and said quick meet me at the boat and knowing that weather could change at any minute we ran. We hit several of his favorite spots both trolling for King Salmon and bottom fishing for Halibut (or just "butts" as Frank calls them) and came up skunked in all the spots. But not to worry the Gulf of Alaska and Kodiak Harbor were like a mill pond and we actually got some sun and had a great adventure. Well at least I did, the Mrs freaked out a little when at one point Frank went to start the motor and it caught on fire. One of the exciting things for her (and when I freaked a little) was when we saw 3 or 4 humpback whales swimming around within a half mile of the boat. She thinks this is awesome, I think 30'-40' whale VS 17' boat, but now that I'm here and still alive it is a PRETTY awesome sight...






Leaving the Kodiak area and heading to the first spot, we still have a lot of snow on some of the mountains and I heard Pyramid got another 1" the other day














The Mrs. contemplating that worst case scenario she can make fish head soup using the sockeye heads we used for bait.

















Trolling for King Salmon in the Gulf of Alaska














That's Pillar Mtn on the left and the 3 Sisters on the right, and as usual the photo doesn't do justice to the view we had.













You need to click on the photo to get the full effect but that's a Humpback Whale in the upper right side, also you'll see how close it was. The first whale we saw was about 100 yards away










Yours truly smiling, this must of been early before I had the smell of skunk emanating all around me







Frank trying to coax a "big butt" onto his line. If its any consolation to us, we didn't hear anyone else yelling or see other boats pulling in any fish




No comments: