Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wild about Wildflowers

The Mrs. finally decide to include me in an adventure, lately when I say lets do something she is tired from "working" as the past few posts show. Today she was out working near my office so we met up for lunch. While I was waiting in the parking lot I took the following picture, what you can't see in the shot is from where I was it is only a few hundred yards from the ocean, so not only do they have the view you see out back they just have to walk to the front of the house for a clear ocean view.

After work we went for a short hike on Near Island which is located just over a bridge in downtown. It has been the topic of heated debate here for about a year, but I'll leave that to the paper or public radio. The Mrs. was interested in how the wild flowers were coming up so off we went for a few photos and comments by her.







This is a field of Chocolate Lilies (with edible bulbs!), Wild Geranium (used to stop bleeding), and a few other assorted species. Nootka Lupine is in the foreground.












Here I am, standing in the meadow, with Rose-Purple Orchis at my feet. In most places, this is a rare orchid species to see... but fairly common here in Kodiak.














A shot of Chiniak Bay from the meadow... we love seeing mountains, ocean, flowers, and islands at the same time.

















A close up of the Rose-Purple Orchis

















A close up of a Chocolate Lily

2 comments:

Ishmael said...

That's a great shot of Lizzy, all backlit and such.

Cheeseburger In Paradise said...

it is a good one, another keeper